As an educator, Nina provides:
- In house workshops.
- Educational workshops for agencies, attorneys, or conferences.
- Private Consultation Services to agencies, attorneys or other interested parties.
Can't make a workshop, or it is not scheduled yet?
All workshops and educational programs can be provided in individualized education sessions.
please contact Nina for more information
Preparing for the Hospital and New Born Care
Don't wait until you are matched, be prepared! You never know when the call may come.
August 27, 2016 CANCELLED- Will be rescheduled Fall 2016
Preparing for the
hospital (provided by Nina Anderson,LCSW)
Learn how to prepare for the time at
the hospital from the pre-delivery period , the birth, and the post placement
time. Gain an understanding of what to expect at the hospital, how to support
the birth mother, and develop skills to manage this emotionally charged time.
Also timelines regarding relinquishment and post hospital contact with birth
parents will be reviewed. (9:30-11:30 a.m.)
Newborn Care (provided
by Rosangela Branganca, Post Partum Doula)
Go home from the hospital feeling
confident. Learn the basics of
care including feeding, bathing,diapering, sleeping, attachment and bonding and
more. (12:00-2:00 p.m.)
Creating Meaningful Future Contact Relationships and Agreements
Creating and navigating future contact relationships is very important in the open adoption process. This workshop will provide adopting parents a deeper understanding of the issues and how to navigate the process of developing and navigating future relationships and agreements. Topics include:
- What is an open adoption and why is it important?
- Tools to develop healthy, meaningful and realistic relationships and how to navigate them.
- How Future Contact Agreements are made and the “who, what, where, whens and whys”.
- Fears, realities and misconceptions of openness in adoption.
- Step by step guidance in developing agreements during the matching process and post placement.
Hours may be applicable to home study education requirement depending on your
is limited, pre-registration required.
Next Class- Summer 2016. Please Call Nina for a private consultation session.
Attachment Parenting in Adoption
Presented by Devon Rubin, LCSW
Many children have never had
a stable adult in their lives (such as children who have been in the
foster/adoption system or in overseas orphanages). Exploring the work of Holly
Van Gulden, this workshop examines the effects of this lack of attachment: how healthy
attachment is related to all areas of development and how it is necessary for
development of one’s sense of self (identity) and self-esteem. After completing this workshop you will
understand how to do a basic assessment of a child’s developmental stage and
how to intervene to establish attachment, in order to help a child feel
grounded in their family, and later in their world.
· Parenting children who have had very early
breaks in attachment and how it affects the different developmental stages.
· Understanding specific symptoms that often
· Gain new parenting tools to address problem
behavior and increase positive and healing interactions with your child.
· Learn ways to to enhance your skills in helping
children develop a core sense of self and a genuine sense of self-esteem.
Substance Use and Pregnancy
To be scheduled:
This workshop will help to provide
clarity as to the risks of substance use during pregnancy. Topics will include:
- How are expectant mothers evaluated for substance use
- Learn about specific drugs and their possible outcome
- Issues for an adoptive parent
Nina Anderson, L.C.S.W.
801 Portola Drive, Suite 203
San Francisco, CA 94127